With only three (business) days to go until we officially open METALCON 2019, here are some exciting show updates regarding the CONTECH technology hub, conference schedule and the METALCON APP. METALCON 2019 is taking place in the “Steel City” of Pittsburgh next week, October 16-19, 2019!
Back by popular demand! Navigate the METALCON exhibit floor by playing the Innovation Station Scanner Hunt. By doing so, you will be eligible to win cash prizes. Sponsoring exhibitors have new product information displayed at each station so you may learn something along the way too. Thank you to our exhibitor sponsors and to DesignandBuildwithMetal.com for donating the cash prizes.Continue reading
As reported by DesignandBuildWithMetal.com this week, “The Metal Construction Association (MCA) has created a new group focused on increasing awareness of Metal Composite Material (MCM) for the architectural building envelope. The MCM Alliance supports product performance testing, initiates research, and promotes education and actions to influence public policies for the utilization and growth of MCM in the marketplace.”Continue reading
Have you noticed how so many of the stories in the industry trades have been about metal panels lately? It’s hard to keep up! Metal panels are clearly a popular solution in the construction world given their aesthetics, the variety and flexibility of materials and cost effectiveness. Members of MCA’s Insulated Metal Panel Group will be on hand at METALCON 2019 next month on the Exhibit Floor as well as offering their expertise during educational sessions (details below). There are too many stories to include them all, but here are some recent ones.Continue reading
Magnificent Metal Monday travels to Pittsburgh, PA, the location of METALCON 2019, for a look at a unique three-story home built in one of the city’s dense urban neighborhoods. Designed by David W. Nitchkey, a principal at CORE Architects of Pittsburgh, he opted for the use of exposed fastener panels from McElroy Metal for the home’s exterior.
Nitchkey’s home appeared in a recent issue of DesignandBuildwithMetal.com as a “featured project.” Nitchkey explains, “My wife and I both wanted to live in a contemporary urban home, reflecting a modern design on both the exterior and the interior. We chose metal to create the contemporary industrial aesthetic of the exterior. Beyond aesthetics, the exposed fastener metal panel system provided an economical solution and the material is basically maintenance free. After maintaining a large 1950s era suburban home for 14 years, we were ready to spend less time on exterior maintenance and more time enjoying the benefits of living in a city neighborhood.” Part of their decision to use metal was also to pay homage to the city’s steeped history in steel and metal making.
The home measures 2,500 square feet on a narrow 20-foot by 60-foot lot. “As a designer, I looked at the exterior cladding as an exercise in graphic design,” Nitchkey says. “The dimensional profiles, direction of the panel patterns, panel sizes and seaming, and exposed fastener colors, all became part of the layers of the design. Conceptually, the first floor horizontal U-Panels in a Charcoal color, provide a dark base to ground the structure and create a platform to support the silver Galvalume volume of the second and third floors, clad in vertical U-Panels. To provide a visual interest, ‘the wedge’ utilizes horizontal Mega Rib panels in Regal White. The added depth of these panels contrasts nicely against the shallower U-Panels.
Abreez Contracting of Pittsburgh installed the McElroy panels: 1,140 square feet of U-Panels in Charcoal, 3,408 square feet of U-Panels in unfinished Galvalume, 360 square feet of Mega-Rib panels in Regal White and 162 square feet of Matrix soffit panels in unfinished Galvalume.
McElroy Metal markets metal roofing, siding, and substructural products for architectural, residential, commercial, and industrial applications. McElroy has 13 manufacturing facilities across the United States. You can visit McElroy Metals and see their latest product line in Booth #1740 at METALCON 2019.
In a city where “encores” are a nightly occurrence, Magnificent Metal Monday takes us to New York City where PPG has received their own “encore” at the Jacob Javits Convention Center. Featured in a recent issue of one of METALCON’s partner publications, DesignandBuildwithMetal.com, “PPG Duranar® coatings were selected to reprise their role as the metal coating of choice for the Jacob K. Javits Convention Center in Manhattan.”Continue reading
Did you know that you will have four chances to win a $500 CASH PRIZE at METALCON 2019? All you have to do is visit all ten Innovation Stations located on the show floor and scan the METALCON APP for a chance to be entered into the daily drawing. Cash prizes are generously donated by METALCON’s long standing partner publication, DesignandBuildwithMetal.com. Drawings will be held on Wednesday at 2 pm and 5pm and Thursday at 2pm and 5pm; entry is based on cumulative scans not daily scans and a person may only win one time.Continue reading
Magnificent Metal Monday (MMM) takes us to Houston, Texas, to take a look at the new home of NASA’s Johnson Space Center (JSC) Biomedical Research & Environmental Sciences Division, a facility responsible for enhancing and studying astronaut and human health. Approximately 20,600 square feet of CENTRIA‘s metal panels provided the design solution for the “space age” building.
As featured in the April 2 issue of DesignandBuildwithMetal, Dennis Patrick, Architectural Discipline Leader and Professional Associate with HDR, the firm responsible for the building design, commented that “CENTRIA’s panels were the right fit for our needs.” “We needed a product that was able to resist material distortion from excessive solar heat and hold up to the tough Houston weather, including UV exposure and coastal marine corrosion.” CENTRIA used their Concept Series CS-220 and CS-260 single-skin rainscreen panels feature concealed fasteners and a common-lock joint that allows the panels to be integrated with each other. The panels can be installed vertically or horizontally and have an unbroken appearance that further adds to the product’s aesthetic versatility.
CENTRIA innovations in architectural metal wall and roof systems are helping building teams around the world envision metal as the future of the building envelope. Based in the Pittsburgh area, CENTRIA metal architectural systems are the perfect combination of science and aesthetics, offering advanced thermal and moisture protection technology, the broadest spectrum of design options, truly integrated components, and superior sustainability. CENTRIA is a Cornerstone Building Brands company.
METALCON is thrilled to welcome CENTRIA back as an exhibitor at METALCON 2019. Be sure to visit them in Booth #747 on the show floor. For a little pre-planning, check out METALCON’s floor plan. Partner publication, DesignandBuildwithMetal.com, will also be at this year’s show and once again be the sponsor of the cash prizes for the Innovation Stations Scavenger Hunt.
Magnificent Metal Monday (MMM) travels to Greenville, Texas, to check out the new high tech headquarters for Innovation First International. As reported by our friends with DesignandBuildwithMetal.com in March, “The company behind the popular HEX BUG micro robotic toy line was founded on the belief that product and technological innovation are vital to success, so it’s no wonder the company turned to a state-of-the-art, Metl-Span building envelope for its new, 63,500 square-foot headquarters.”
Dating back to the days of World War II when the British demanded a stronger roofing product to protect themselves against bombings, stone coated steel roofing tiles have played an important part of roofing history. It wasn’t until a few years ago that the industry saw a surge in their popularity and usage.Continue reading
As announced in this week’s issue of DesignandBuildwithMetal.com, “The Metal Construction Association (MCA) proudly presented its annual Patrick R. Bush Volunteer Service Award to Jonathan Rider, and Larry A. Swaney Award to Mark James. Both Rider and James have been long-standing and significant contributors to the METALCON show. The prestigious awards were given during MCA’s winter meeting January 15th in Key Largo.Continue reading
DesignandBuildwithMetal.com has issued their inaugural Metal Roofing Edition. This issue features some of the most outstanding metal roofing projects showcased on their website over the past 12 months, along with a number of supporting articles dealing with related technologies and ancillary products. The cover features a fire station in Florida that doubles as a hurricane command center. The building showcases metal roofing from Petersen, illustrating both the aesthetic qualities and performance attributes that have made metal the first choice for such projects.Continue reading
Among the 275 exhibitors at METALCON 2018 was CertainTeed, a leading North American brand of exterior and interior building products, including roofing, siding, fence, decking, railing, trim, insulation, drywall and ceilings. METALCON attendees were offered an exclusive preview of their impressive Matterhorn® Metal Roofing collection and what contractors, architects and building owners will soon see in expanded markets nationwide. Continue reading
- The NEW Total Experience – Pay one price and get it all AND in one place! Exhibit Hall for 3 days, non-stop education, Keynote Address, Oktoberfest, Roofing Games, and more. LASTCHANCE to save $40 by registering on line TODAY ONLY. Registration increases to full price on-site starting tomorrow, Tuesday, October 9 at 12:00 noon at the Charlotte Convention Center.
- Iconic Keynote Addresses – INCLUDED in your Total Experience registration! NFL icon, Steve Smith Sr., will deliver his Keynote Address on “Perseverance, Teamwork and Overcoming Obstacles” on Wednesday, October 10 at 11:00 am. Steel icon, Dan DiMicco, will deliver his Keynote Address on “The Economic Plan for Growth and Global Competitiveness in the US – Implications for Steel” on Thursday, October 11 at 11:00 am. Both Keynotes will take place in the NEW METALCON Theatre located on the show floor.
- Dynamic Exhibit Hall – Over 250 top manufacturers on hand exhibiting their latest products and industry solutions. Celebrate “Thinking in Color” with Sherwin Williams and their newly acquired company and long-time METALCON exhibitor, Valspar (Booth #1307), at their social open to all attendees, on Thursday, October 11 from 4:00 – 6:00!
- 2018 MCA Metal Roofing Championship Games “REV EM’ UP” FOR THE CHARLOTTE METAL SPEEDWAY!” – Watch non-stop action on the show floor as contractors compete for cash prizes! Click HERE for the schedule of events.
- The Deck – Stop by to meet METALCON’s show management team, snap a photo at the photo booth, enjoy a cold beer and “give back” for a chance to win awesome raffle prizes!
- GIVE BACK to children this year! Join us as we raise money for the Steve Smith Family Foundation, dedicated to the health and wellness of children. For a minimum donation of $25, you’ll be entered to win raffle prizes, including a Steve Smith autographed Carolina Panther Jersey or NFL football, or two tickets to the Carolina Panthers game with a two-night hotel stay. DONATE on-line or in person at The Deck.
- Learning Centers (Booths 1813 and 1837) – INCLUDED in your Total Experience registration. Offering you flexibility of choice, all-day education on a variety of topics including: Growing Your Business, Ownership/Leadership Transition, Field Techniques, Safety and much more. Click here for the full schedule.
- Innovation Scanner Hunt – Download the METALCON APP for a chance to win cash prizes by scanning ALL 10 Innovation Stations on the show floor. Daily cash drawings will be held at The DECK (Booth #1005), provided once again by DESIGNANDBUILDWITHMETAL.COM
- Metal Roof Installation Training – A METALCON Exclusive! Receive MCA’s Metal Roofing Certificate of Completion after taking this 8-hour training course offered ONLY at METALCON. Course starts tomorrow, Tuesday, October 9 at 1:00 pm. REGISTER today!
- Oktoberfest @ METALCON – Enjoy a cold beer with exhibitors Wednesday & Thursday afternoons from 1-5pm! Click HERE for a full schedule.
JOIN US THIS WEEK AT THE CHARLOTTE CONVENTION CENTER IN CHARLOTTE, NORTH CAROLINA!
Standing kiosks will be located throughout the show floor highlighting a company’s “innovative” product. The METALCON APP will be your key to winning cash prizes. All you do is scan each (and every) Innovation Station for a chance to win $500! Read on for the rules. Continue reading
You know what’s magnificent? Winning cash prizes, that’s what is!
The rules are simple:
1. Download the METALCON app (available soon)
2. Scan all 10 Innovation Station’s located on the exhibit floor
3. Listen for your name during the cash prize drawings announced from The Deck, and you may be a winner!
We make it easy (and fun) to win money for simply walking through the Exhibits! Continue reading