Although imposed over a year ago, steel tariffs are still making headlines in today’s news. How have they affected your business this past year? Earlier today, Bloomberg News reported that after one year since the tariffs were imposed that it’s had mixed results. They are reporting that while the steel industry saw some growth in job creation, it was at a cost of approximately $900,000 per job to the taxpayer. And while American steel producers of materials like nuts and bolts saw significant gains in sales as a result of increasing their prices, large American steel companies like NUCOR and U.S. Steel saw their overall shares slump in the past year.Continue reading
It’s been one year as your METALCON “blogger” bringing you, our readership, a wide range of interesting topics and stories. Looking back over the year, here are the top five that seemed to spark more interest with you yielding the highest views:
Coming in at #5 … Magnificent Metal Monday posted on August 13, 2018, featured the cool refurbished office by the Association of Iron and Steel, located in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, which happens to be the site of METALCON 2019!Continue reading
METALCON LIVE reporting from Day 2 of METALCON 2018, held October 10-12 at the Charlotte Convention Center in Charlotte, North Carolina.
If you weren’t at METALCON this year, you will feel like you were after watching METALCON LIVE’s recap of Day Two! Live action from the Exhibit floor, education sessions, Metal Roofing Games, interviews with speakers, attendees and exhibitors and more are all featured.
The day kicked off with a topical and interactive Keynote Address by Dan DiMicco, former CEO of NUCOR Steel and Senior Trade Adviser to the Trump Campaign. Mr. DiMicco shared his perspective on supporting the new tariffs on steel and aluminum imports. He commented that “America is open for business again! Tariffs are part of an overall effort to reform the global trading system so it works for everyone.” You can READ MORE in the press release posted on METALCON’s website.
METALCON’s Exhibit Floor “by the numbers” occupied over 76,000 square feet of space with 250 companies exhibiting in 525 booths. It is the only annual trade show and conference devoted entirely to the application of metal in industrial, institutional, light commercial and residential, making it THE place to be to get business done. Todd Andrews with Classic Metals, commented,” If you are in the metal roofing business and manufacturing of metal buildings, the show is a must! I try and buy one or two machines while at the show each year.”
The video recap goes on to highlight some of the engaging educational sessions led by key industry experts and footage from the second day of competition in the MCA Metal Roofing Games where more teams took home $500 in cash prizes with two teams advancing to Friday’s final competition.
The second day culminated with a special check presentation to the Steve Smith Family Foundation. Gerard Littlejohn, Executive Director, was on hand to accept the $3,000 check and remarked, “We are so thankful to METALCON; the funds will go directly to the Smith Family Wellness Center which gives free medical and counseling care to underserved families and help them get the care they need.”
If you joined us at METALCON this year, please share your experience at #METALCON18!
As Hurricane Michael blew passed Charlotte today, METALCON continued to “Buzz!” Dan DiMicco, former CEO of NUCOR Steel and trade advisor to the Trump Administration, kicked things off this morning with a lively Keynote Address to over 200 engaged attendees interested in learning about the state of the US economy, Continue reading
Coming to you live from the Charlotte Convention Center in Charlotte, North Carolina where METALCON was all “a buzz!” While the forecast outside may be rainy, it was bright and sunny inside the convention center at the show, celebrating its 28th year! Sixteen-year NFL veteran and former five-time pro bowl, three-time all-pro receiver for the Carolina Panthers, Steve Smith Sr. kicked things off this morning when he presented Continue reading
- The NEW Total Experience – Pay one price and get it all AND in one place! Exhibit Hall for 3 days, non-stop education, Keynote Address, Oktoberfest, Roofing Games, and more. LASTCHANCE to save $40 by registering on line TODAY ONLY. Registration increases to full price on-site starting tomorrow, Tuesday, October 9 at 12:00 noon at the Charlotte Convention Center.
- Iconic Keynote Addresses – INCLUDED in your Total Experience registration! NFL icon, Steve Smith Sr., will deliver his Keynote Address on “Perseverance, Teamwork and Overcoming Obstacles” on Wednesday, October 10 at 11:00 am. Steel icon, Dan DiMicco, will deliver his Keynote Address on “The Economic Plan for Growth and Global Competitiveness in the US – Implications for Steel” on Thursday, October 11 at 11:00 am. Both Keynotes will take place in the NEW METALCON Theatre located on the show floor.
- Dynamic Exhibit Hall – Over 250 top manufacturers on hand exhibiting their latest products and industry solutions. Celebrate “Thinking in Color” with Sherwin Williams and their newly acquired company and long-time METALCON exhibitor, Valspar (Booth #1307), at their social open to all attendees, on Thursday, October 11 from 4:00 – 6:00!
- 2018 MCA Metal Roofing Championship Games “REV EM’ UP” FOR THE CHARLOTTE METAL SPEEDWAY!” – Watch non-stop action on the show floor as contractors compete for cash prizes! Click HERE for the schedule of events.
- The Deck – Stop by to meet METALCON’s show management team, snap a photo at the photo booth, enjoy a cold beer and “give back” for a chance to win awesome raffle prizes!
- GIVE BACK to children this year! Join us as we raise money for the Steve Smith Family Foundation, dedicated to the health and wellness of children. For a minimum donation of $25, you’ll be entered to win raffle prizes, including a Steve Smith autographed Carolina Panther Jersey or NFL football, or two tickets to the Carolina Panthers game with a two-night hotel stay. DONATE on-line or in person at The Deck.
- Learning Centers (Booths 1813 and 1837) – INCLUDED in your Total Experience registration. Offering you flexibility of choice, all-day education on a variety of topics including: Growing Your Business, Ownership/Leadership Transition, Field Techniques, Safety and much more. Click here for the full schedule.
- Innovation Scanner Hunt – Download the METALCON APP for a chance to win cash prizes by scanning ALL 10 Innovation Stations on the show floor. Daily cash drawings will be held at The DECK (Booth #1005), provided once again by DESIGNANDBUILDWITHMETAL.COM
- Metal Roof Installation Training – A METALCON Exclusive! Receive MCA’s Metal Roofing Certificate of Completion after taking this 8-hour training course offered ONLY at METALCON. Course starts tomorrow, Tuesday, October 9 at 1:00 pm. REGISTER today!
- Oktoberfest @ METALCON – Enjoy a cold beer with exhibitors Wednesday & Thursday afternoons from 1-5pm! Click HERE for a full schedule.
JOIN US THIS WEEK AT THE CHARLOTTE CONVENTION CENTER IN CHARLOTTE, NORTH CAROLINA!
Exhibitors Set to Put the Pedal to the Metal at METALCON 2018
METALCON is the one event that attracts the most metal professionals in the industry. Over 250 exhibiting companies will be on hand next week at METALCON 2018 eager to share their new product information with show attendees. Your “Total Experience” registration includes entrance to the Exhibit Hall for all three days of the show. The redesigned FLOOR PLAN features a new “power aisle” Continue reading
Among the many reasons, METALCON named Charlotte as the location of choice this year because of its metal manufacturing industry base. More than 600 regional companies employing nearly 16,000 employees comprise related industries. Nucor Corporation is a Fortune 500 company headquartered in Charlotte, with $16.2 billion in annual revenues and a profit of nearly $800 million. It is the largest U.S.- based steel manufacturer and the 12th largest steel producer in the world.
Local North Carolinian companies that will be exhibiting and attending the show include: 3A Composites; Betco, Inc.; Cape Fear Automation; IMS USA LLC; Metal Fastening Systems Inc.; RCI, Inc.; Union Corrugating and Wuko, Inc.
Getting to Charlotte
By car, plane, train or bus, ease of accessibility is another reason why Charlotte is an excellent location for METALCON. Air service in and out of Charlotte Douglas International Airport (CLT) is exceptional. Nine major airlines operate at CLT, offering over 700 daily flights with nonstop service to 165 destinations and 33 international destinations. The airport is located only 7 miles away from the Charlotte Convention Center and Downtown hotels, about a 15 minute ride away! Visit Charlotte’s website for detailed information on travel to the city. Once you arrive at the airport, ShuttleFare is offering a $5.00 discount for roundtrip airport shuttles. Click HERE to book your shuttle.
Networking After-Hours … Charlotte’s Dining is Fit for a Queen
Home to culinary incubators like Johnson & Wales University, the Queen City draws innovative chefs who, inspired by their own backgrounds, rethink local and regional delicacies. Visitors can eat, drink and tour Charlotte’s culinary scene by taking advantage of unique tour options via segways, bicycles, or by foot. Check out some of Charlotte’s most popular eats on Charlotte NC Tours’ Taste and Glide Segway Tour or for our “foodies,” you may want to check out FEAST Food Tours. The Taste of Carolina Gourmet Food Tour offers chef creations coupled with learning about the history of the Queen City or if museums are your thing, check out the Taste of the Mint!
Outside of METALCON Show Hours … Charlotte’s Top 5!
Here are the top 5 things (plus a bonus) to do while visiting the “Queen’s City!” Appropriately named for its 325 foot peak, conquer the twists, turns and drops aboard Fury 325, the world’s tallest and fastest giga roller coaster located at Carowinds. Just steps away from the convention center, the heart of racing beats at the NASCAR Hall of Fame. If water is your thing, head to the U.S. National Whitewater Center (USNWC), home of the world’s largest man-made whitewater river and an official Olympic Training Site. You can pay your respects to the late Reverend Billy Graham at The Billy Graham Library. Born in Charlotte in 1918, the renowned evangelist was raised on his family’s dairy farm, just miles away from Charlotte’s Airport.
In less than two weeks, the metal construction industry’s largest international event for metal construction products, technologies and solutions takes place October 10 – 12 at the Charlotte Convention Center.
REGISTER before September 30 and receive a $40 discount off registration.
“Get with the program” at METALCON 2018! As summer 2018 officially winds down and the new school year begins, take advantage of METALCON’s limited time BACK TO SCHOOL offer and save $40 off registration (now through September 30). In less than 30 days, the largest international event for metal professionals will convene in Charlotte, North Carolina, October 10 – 12, so now is the time to finalize your plans to attend. Continue reading
METALCON’s commitment to the metal industry goes beyond the exhibits. The annual trade show aims to provide you with an overall experience, including education and training programs. Most of the education sessions are included in your new Total Experience registration with a handful of more extensive special programs available at an additional cost.
Steve Smith, former Carolina Panthers star and Dan DiMicco, former CEO of NUCOR Steel will lead the Keynote Addresses at METALCON 2018
Join us at the redesigned METALCON show October 10-12, 2018 in Charlotte, North Carolina, and be among the largest number of metal professionals in the industry. Your Total Experience will include the exhibits along with the education sessions ALL located on the show floor. Key industry topics will be presented at the new METALCON Theatre including two keynote addresses along with multiple general sessions.
Wednesday, October 10, 11:00 am – 12:00 pm:
Steve Smith, NFL star formerly with the Carolina Panthers, will be speaking on perseverance, teamwork and overcoming obstacles. Mr. Smith and his wife now head their non-profit organization called the Steve Smith Family Foundation, dedicated to providing hope and inspiration to those in need while promoting family health & wellness as well as the awareness and prevention of domestic violence.
Thursday, October 11, 11:00 am – 12:00 pm:
Dan DiMicco, retired CEO, current Chairman Emeritus of NUCOR Steel, and author of the book, “American Made,” will be speaking on “The Good the Bad and the Ugly on Steel Tariffs.” Mr. DiMicco not only revived a major US manufacturing firm during a recession, but helped galvanize the flagging domestic steel industry when many of his competitors were in bankruptcy or headed overseas. NUCOR is the largest producer of steel in the United States and also consider themselves North America’s largest recycler.
We are thrilled to have these two giants in their respective industries – Steve Smith, NFL star, and Dan DiMicco, steel industry icon – lead the METALCON Keynote Addresses at this year’s show. With our new Total Experience package, there is no need to pay extra to attend these sessions and no need to go searching for them. The METALCON Theatre will be located directly on the show floor. All located in one place, for one price.