Celebrating its 3rd Annual metal roofing competition to be held at Metalcon October 26 and 27 in Baltimore, MD, the MCA MRCG Task Force has finalized the event schedule. This year, there will be five challenges each day under the appropriately named theme; “Battle Stars Over Baltimore” in recognition of our Star Spangled Banner birthplace.
Each day, 5 teams with 2 contestants each will compete for a minimum $400 cash award in each of the challenges or $2,000 each day. The Task Force has actively solicited Award Sponsors from the MCA membership. The Award Sponsors are: AKZO Nobel, ATAS International, Atlas Bolt & Screw, The Bradbury Co., Inc., Chicago Metal Supply & Fabrication, Inc., DesignBuildwithMetal.com, Englert, Inc., Modern Trade Publications, NovaFlex/Novagard Solutions, Inc., Petersen Aluminum, SFS Intec and Valspar. Each challenge’s cash award amount will be finalized at a later date.
The Challenges with each of their sponsoring MCA Members are described as follows:
- The Triangle Fastener Corporation’s “Screw Gun Challenge”, where contestants will install a series of self-drilling fasteners into a structural zee-shaped purlin member. Fastest time and properly seated fasteners will determine the winning team.
- The Roof Hugger, Inc. “Hug A Roof Challenge”, where contestants will install 40 lineal feet of factory-notched zee-shaped sub-purlins on a mock-up existing ribbed metal roof paneled frame. Fastest time, properly seated fasteners and sub-purlin alignment will determine the winning team.
- The New Tech Machinery & Drexel Metal’s “Standing Seam Challenge”, where contestants will install 6 each 16-inch wide metal roof panels over the factory-notched sub-purlins. Fastest time and properly seated panel seams will determine the winning team.
- The D.I. Roof Seamers “Seam It Up Challenge”, where contestants will operate a standing seam roof seamer over the 16-inch wide metal roof panel seams. Fastest time and properly seamed panels will determine the winning team.
- The S-5! “Let it Snow Challenge”, where contestants will install S-5! ColorGard® snow retention onto the 16-inch metal roof panels. Fastest time, properly seated fasteners and ColorGard® alignment will determine the winning team.
Judging will be provided by the Metal Building Contractors and Erectors Association (MBCEA).
Several Contestant Teams have signed up to compete, but there is still room. Ten Teams are needed for 5 each day. The deadline to sign your Team up is September 30th. If interested in signing up, contact Mark James by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org